“We absolutely loved the film. Can you sell it to us in five words?” +
can we just take a moment
Ok so I watched TMR in theaters again today so I’m just going to go through all the Gally scenes I remember and explain why he is tragic and precious and important
- "DAY ONE GREENIE RISE AND SHINE" APPARENTLY GALLY IS THE PRESIDENT OF THE GLADE WELCOME COMMITTEE?? WOW GALLY
- Gally pushes Thomas to keep him from going into the maze because holy crap Thomas why do you have to walk directly and willingly into deadly situations, and when Thomas freaks out Gally tells him to “CALM”
OH MY GOD HE JUST SAVED YOUR LIFE PLEASE STOP FREAKING OUt
- Literally right after Gally and Thomas beat each other up, the maze starts moving and Thomas, again, freaks out and Gally says, WORD FOR WORD "You’re safe here with us"
- So basically he just had a literal fight with this newbie and he still wants him to know that he’s safe and protected WOW. wow.
- After Thomas/Minho/Alby come back from the maze, Gally has a completely valid concern that the Grievers (aka the INCREDIBLY VICIOUS AND HIGHLY INTELLIGENT MONSTERS that have probably killed multitudes of Gally’s friends) will want revenge on them now that Thomas has killed one of them
- AND NO ONE LISTENS TO HIM
- Teresa’s arrival. “The last one ever”???? basically a death omen. Completely understandable concern from Gally here.
- Thomas wants to go back into the maze; Gally wants to keep him out of the maze. What is the maze again? Oh right, a death trap. Who is in the wrong here I ask you
- The grievers leave after killing off about a quarter/half of the Gladers and Gally punches Thomas in the face because “holy crap, i saw my friends die in front of me because of what you did”
- "LOOK AROUND THOMAS", and then something along the lines of "he’s destroyed everything we’ve created"
- Can you imagine that? You’ve built this community, you have your bed and your belongings and these people that you love and in one night, one fell swoop, it’s all gone, fire.
- And then Thomas stabs himself with that griever stinger/syringe and everyone panics because oh my god, poor Thomas and Gally looks GUILTY. He becomes less anger and more worry because “he just gave himself a griever sting because of what I said”
- Basically Gally blaming himself for things that aren’t really his fault. Spoilers: This kind of happens a lot. Like a lot.
- Gally then takes charge because to him everyone is losing their mind and he needs to keep them in check so they don’t freaking die
- Gally plans to offer Teresa and Thomas to the Grievers. You can smell the desperation.
- "He’s just trying to scare you" Gally says because the only thing that’s kept them alive for so long is staying calm
- "We are home" unbelievable
- Gally is abandoned by the majority of the other Gladers. He loves them and they leave him. He wants them to stay safe and alive and they walk past him basically into hell. Ouch.
- Thomas asks Gally to come with them ((because the two of them SECRETLY CARE A WHOLE LOT ABOUT EACH OTHER)) and poor Gally has absolutely no way of knowing if they’re all committing suicide or not, so of course he says no
- But he still says “Good luck against the grievers” and it sounds bitter but he obviously he means it.
- He may doubt that Thomas is right, but he still sure as hell hopes Thomas is right
- Final scene: “i belong to the maze”
- (And then that event that shall not be mentioned here occurs, which is not at all Gally’s fault although in the back of his sad wrecked mind he’s blaming himself for it. Again.)
- Tl;dr Thomas may have been what WCKD wanted, but Gally is what WCKD created. Paranoid. Scared. Trapped. Manipulated and so, so, blind.
- But he was also loyal and caring and logical; a little abrasive, but he loved the Gladers all the same.
- It’s all very unfair.
I’m just going to leave this here…
Charles Bukowski (via bittersweetsongs)
Wow bukowski so profound do you also bathe fully clothed you dickhead. “Oohh isn’t it funny that a person will eat when they’re hungry but will duck if you throw an apple at their face”
"I never thought I’d still be alive at this buggin’ point - and living hasn’t exactly been so great anyway…"